Use this checklist to cover all your bases
Galbraith Van and Storage has over 100 years of experience moving families and companies around California and across the country. Contact Us to learn more about our services and how we put our expertise to work ensuring a smooth and efficient move from start to finish.
- Be sure to ask if they are insured and bonded, and how they charge.
- Ask what type of training their movers and drivers receive.
- Are employees full-time, temporary or day labor? (Be cautious of those who use temps and day labor because they may not have proper insurance.)
- Get your estimate in writing, and ask for their cancellation policy.
- Do they offer a FREE estimate?
- Learn if they assign a point person or provide a contact number for the day of the move.
- Find out the available payment options offered.
- Ask if they provide packing and unpacking services.
To help your Moving Day proceed as smoothly and efficiently as possible:
- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Use wardrobe boxes to pack closets easily; place clothes from drawers into suitcases.
- Use only small boxes for books - they get very heavy, very fast.
- For large appliances check your owner’s manuals for special moving instructions.
- Never use newsprint to wrap fine china.
- Always stack dishes on edge when packing.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately for easy accessibility. Included among those are children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Remember - the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Never use duct tape – use packing tape to secure boxes on top AND bottom.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
- Don’t try to get rid of your children’s favorite things before the move – even if it makes it easier. Children sometimes find moving difficult and those items may easy the transition.
- As you disassemble furniture or other large items label hardware and place into a parts box.
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos or TVs in their original boxes. If not, using bubble wrap is a good way to prevent damage.
- Pack the items you will not need ahead of time.
- By law, a moving company can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases and other flammables, aerosols, ammunition and explosives.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing placed on the truck.
- Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
Use these tips to prepare your home for moving – many of which can be completed a week or two in advance of Moving Day.
- Clean out closets, the attic and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move.
- Make a “survival closet” of things for the last cleaning prior to moving – broom, dust cloth, dust pan, mop.
- Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day -- you don’t want to have to pay for cable, phone and utilities when you aren’t even there!
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, maids, lawn services about a week before moving.
- Mail in your change of address forms about week before your move date.
- Clean your stove.
- Defrost your refrigerator the day before your move.
- Make sure to get enough cash to get you through move day.
- Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before your busy move day.
- Don’t use boxes without tops; they are impossible to stack properly in the truck.
- Use custom-designed boxes when packing fine china and clothing – a reputable moving company can make these boxes available to you should you need them.
Galbraith Van and Storage has over 100 years of experience moving families and companies around California and across the country. Contact Us to learn more about our services and how we put our expertise to work ensuring a smooth and efficient move from start to finish. We will exceed your expectations.